In September of 1941, James and Mollie Hunt moved to Abingdon. They opened their home for Sunday services. On April 16, 1942, this home church became part of the newly established Assemblies of God church on the corner of Monmouth and Main streets. The pastor was Roy Meredith.
Revivals were numerous in the early years. God’s blessing was upon the church. In 1953 an expansion was necessary to add classroom space. In 1969, the new building was dedicated in its current location on Martin street. In 1976 a fellowship hall was added that includes additional classrooms, kitchen and meeting space.
Since 1941, God has been mightily at work in the lives of the people of First Assembly. While the congregation fully embraces her history, she anticipates a bright future of continued ministry committed to reaching the community and the world with the life changing Gospel of Jesus Christ.